Friday, December 15, 2017

Nge Michu , Chapter 14



Having finished writing her exam, Dema walks towards the school gate. As students appear one by one from the exam, she looks for Dorji, but she cannot find him. Picking up her bag from the ground, she takes it on her back, when Dorji appears suddenly near her, gasping hard.
“Where have you been?”
“I finished just now only,” says Dorji, following Dema, as they walk up towards the road. Reaching the road, Dema stops.
“Not going home?”
Dorji asks her, on noticing her stopping suddenly.
“I am going to the town.”
“What?”
“Okay,” says Dorji and walks away from her, along with other students. Stopping a taxi, she gets inside. Taking out the phone from her bag, she dials the number and waits for the response.
“Hi, Tshoki. Where is your apartment?”
Listening to the phone carefully, then she ends the call and looks at the mirror in front of the driver.
“Uncle, can you please take me to Olakha?”
Driving down through the town, as the taxi driver brakes in front of a five-storied building, Dema thanks him and gets out. Dialing the number, she asks, “Flat number?”
“Okay.”
As her feet touch the first step of the staircase, she finds a shop attached to the basement. Going there, she buys two bottles of canned beer. Putting the bottle in a plastic bag, she rushes up to the Tshoki’s flat. Surprisingly, the door is unlatched, so pushing the door slowly, she gets inside, calling her name, “Tshoki, are you inside?”
Not getting response, she walks inside taking a step by step, wondering if she is in a wrong room. Finding no one in the sitting room, she walks towards the bedroom. Pushing the curtain, she takes a glance and finds Tshoki sleeping.
“Tshoki?”
She calls her. Opening her eyes, a little, Tshoki smiles. Going next to the bed, Dema takes out the beer, “Wake up, girl.”
“Where is Khandu? Office?”
“No idea.”
Pushing away the blankets off her, Dema forces Tshoki to wake up. Pulling up the pillow, Tshoki leans her back, looking weak. Observing her carefully, Dema says, “Tshoki, as a friend, I am here to tell you something.”
Opening the beer, taking a sip, she looks at Tshoki, “It’s never too late. Just forget Khandu and let’s go back to your sister. Just forget everything. Mistakes happen.”
Tshoki says nothing but instead stays silently, as if she has become dumb. She is never silent but always active and talkative.
Handing her the beer can, Dema asks, “Tshoki, why are you so silent?”
Taking the beer, Tshoki looks outside through the window and says, “I feel lost. Help me?”
Keeping the beer on the table beside bed, taking her face closer to Tshoki, Dema says, “Please, let’s go back.”
Interrupting her, Tshoki says, “Even Dorji dumped me.”
“Dorji? He is just a child.”
Pushing away Dema from the bed, she swings her hand up in the air and throws away beer can on the floor. Crying out loudly, Tshoki shouts, “Why are you doing this to me, Dema? Why? You told the school that I ran away with an old man. I know you and Dorji are in relationship. You cheated on me. Did he tell you that I slept with him? Maybe not. You told my sister everything about me. You ruined my life.”
Dema stands at the door, without saying a word.
“Dema, I thought you were my best friend but look at you.”
Dema tries to open her mouth, “Tshoki?”
Getting off the bed, Tshoki rushes towards her pushing her away, “Just leave.”
Later in the night, having finished eating dinner, sitting in a circle, Yangchen takes child from her mother, when her father asks, “Why Khandu is not here?”
Finishing her food, keeping the plate on the floor, Yuden looks at the door, “Apa hardly comes home these days.”
Picking up the pots and plates from the floor, taking them to the kitchen, her mother comes back. Getting the broom hanging down from behind the door, she starts sweeping the door, when there comes the sudden knock on the door. Sweeping the door, she does not respond to the knock.
Yuden rushes to the door and opens it, when Khandu stands at the door showing his white teeth, filling up the room with alcohol smell. Swinging his body from side to side, he walks in. Smiling at her mother, not being able to balance his body, catching the broom, he says, “May I help to sweep the floor?”
Ignoring him, her mother keeps sweeping the floor while he jumps on the sofa and shouts, “Yangchen, bring me food.”
Having finished sweeping the floor, she goes to the kitchen and comes back with food. Keeping them on the table in front of him, her mother sits down. Picking up the food from the table, he smashes the plates against the wall, breaking into pieces.
Looking at Yangchen, taking out the new phone, he says, “Dear Love Yangchen, How are you? I hope you are doing well.”
“This is the message from your lover, look at it,” says Khandu, stretching his hand and giving the phone to Yangchen. She does not take the phone but stays silently.
“Yangchen, read the message.”
He shouts throwing the phone against the wall. Looking at her parents, he shouts, “Your daughter is cheating on me. Take her home with you, before things get worse.”
“Cheating on you? How dare you tell me that?”
Yangchen shouts back, “Tencho came here this morning and told me that he is the one who kept the phone in the wardrobe. Just ask him. He brought clothes for my parents.”
“Tencho? How could he do this?”
“I have no idea. Ask him.”
“I am taking my daughter back home,” says her mother, “if you want her back, let me know when you solve this cheating thing.”
“Take her.”
“I will.”
Story by: Phurpa Dorji (PJIKKS)
Chapter 15 Tomorrow @9PM



No comments:

Post a Comment