Saturday, December 16, 2017

Nge Michu , Chapter 15



The mixed smell of different alcohols hangs in the air; only middle-aged people are present sticking their butts on a tool, with glass in the front filled with drinks, listening to the slow soothing music playing from the speakers attached to the different corners of the room. A few old men walk in with young girls. Trying to keep his eyes open, Khandu gazes at a woman sitting on the sofa, all by herself, in the middle of the room as if waiting for her Prince Charming.
“Another bottle.”
Taking a bottle from the rack, the bartender hands him a bottle. Lifting the bottle up, he pours the beer into the glass, when the bottle slips off his hand and falls on the floor, breaking into pieces. As other people start eyeing on him, he takes out his wallet and looks for money but it’s empty. In the meantime, a lady, dressed in kira comes nearby him and pays the bill. Holding his shoulder, she whispers into his left ear, “Sir, I want to tell you something. Let’s go to that corner table and talk.”
Grabbing his shoulder, she walks him towards a corner struggling to support his drunk body on her thin body. Dropping him down on the sofa, she sits beside him facing him, with her face hidden in the shadow. He can see only blurry face of her.
“Sir, your wife never cheated on you. I am wife of Tencho,” says the woman, these words buzzing his ears, like bees circling his head.
“What do you mean?”
“Tencho was drunk last night. He knew that you are nominated for the vice president post. Which means tomorrow you will be elected as Vice President of your company. Angered by this, he cried whole night. He told me that he tried to ruin your life since the beginning of this year after knowing that you were capable of becoming the vice president. He is planning to do something tomorrow to harm you before the promotion.”
Saying these words, she stands up and whispers into his ears, “Take care.”
As she walks away through the crowd, as the other drunk men tease shouting at her, “Hi Love. Come and drink with me.”
Keeping his hand on his forehead, he checks the temperature as the sudden giddiness shoot up his head. Getting up, he walks out of the bar and as the cold winter wind colds beer heated ears, he looks for his car. Trying to find his car, he walks towards the parked cars under the light from the street poles. Finding his car at the end of the line, he unlocks the door and gets inside. Closing the door, he grabs his phone from the seat, where he left it after receiving call from Tshoki this evening after the office.
It has been two months since Yangchen left to village with her parents soon after the night of breaking phone. When he woke up the next morning, she left taking even Yuden, whose exam was just a month away. Going to office, he asked Tencho about keeping the phone in the cupboard and visiting her when he was not home, but Tencho denied doing all of these things.
He tried a few times to get password for Tshoki’s phone to delete the footage but he failed. Staying with her for a few days, he left her after he found her talking with another man in a restaurant one evening. Soon after that night, she neither called him nor tried to contact him. He assumed that she is with a new man. Feeling lucky, he stayed at his old house at Motithang only, with the memory of Tshoki fading away day by day.
But she remembered him today. Calling him, Tshoki said, “I am pregnant. Meet me once tomorrow evening.”
Not being able to take the news positively, he ran into the bars and started drinking beers. So now, he is here in the car drunk, looking for Yangchen’s number on his phone. Finally, he dials the number and waits. It’s 9PM. She would be sleeping by now. But he keeps calling her. Finally, she answers with a sleepy tone.
Listening to her voice, Khandu says softly, “I am so sorry, Yangchen.”
“Sorry?”
“Yeah! Now, I understand why Tencho befriended me this year. He is the one who told me nasty things about you___he told me about your college days, you sleeping with many boys. After listening to those words from him, I started hating you because you never mentioned about having relationships back in the college. You just told me about a boy bothering you. You said that you never accepted him. After telling me about your college days, he encouraged me to look for another girl. He told me about Tshoki. I listened to him. Now, I understand that he did these things just to ruin our family. He was just jealous about my promotion to vice president. If possible forgive me. I am sorry Yangchen___,” says Khandu, when Yangchen does not say a word.
“Yangchen, are you there?”
“Yes, I am. I am sorry, too. Khandu,” speaks Yangchen into the phone.
“Why?”
“Hmm, remember the boy who was always after me back in the college?”
“Yeah!”
“It was Tencho. After the farewell dinner in our final year, walking towards me he told me, “Yangchen, you made fun of my love. I will make you pay for this, one day. Just wait and see.”
“What?”
Khandu shouts, not believing this history, as Tencho never mentioned about his love to Yangchen back in his college days.
“So, he is trying to hurt me and our family,” says Yangchen, when Khandu’s head starts to spin and the phone falls off his hand and drops down, hitting his head hard on the steering wheel.
Story by: Phurpa Dorji (PJIKKS)
The Final Chapter Tomorrow @9PM



No comments:

Post a Comment